Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Broncos release Wilson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Broncos release Wilson

    Veteran LB would have cost Broncos $5.2 million

    p1 wilson pensinger
    Al Wilson had 715 tackles in eight years with the Broncos.


    Broncos linebacker Al Wilson's heart tells him he can still play football. His neck is a different story.

    The Broncos Friday released the five-time Pro Bowler due to a combination of injury and salary cap concerns. Wilson is coming off a neck injury suffered last season against Seattle on Dec. 3. He was also scheduled to make $5.2 million in base salary this season.

    A Broncos spokesman declined comment and an e-mail to Denver general manager Ted Sundquist wasn't returned.

    Wilson, who was informed by the team Thursday night he'd be cut, had no bitter feelings toward the team.

    "My time is up as a Bronco," the eight-year veteran said. "It's time to move forward and try something else. You have to do what's best for your organization, just like a Fortune 500 company. Sometimes you have to let good employees go."

    Wilson has been the defensive captain of the Broncos for the last six seasons. He led the team in tackles last season with 113.

    However, he was plagued by injuries in the second half of 2006. Wilson hurt his neck running into teammate Gerard Warren on a tackle against the Seahawks and had to be carted off the field as the crowd gave him an ovation and chanted his name.

    And while he played the next three weeks, Wilson didn't participate in the season finale against San Francisco due to thumb and back injuries. The loss knocked Denver out of a playoff spot.

    "I've had a great time here," Wilson said. "I feel like I've got a few more good years in me, too."

    He was nearly dealt to the New York Giants earlier this spring. However, he failed a physical and the Giants backed out of the trade.

    "I was looking forward to a new opportunity," Wilson said. "There are 31 other teams out there."

    But his neck remains a concern. Wilson won't play again until doctors clear him. Wilson claims doctors say his neck is getting better.

    "If I can get medically cleared, hey, I'm going to go out and play," Wilson said. "I feel like I still can play. It's not about the money. I'll only get out there and play if I'm healthy."

    Peter Schaffer, Wilson's agent, wouldn't discuss the exact nature of Wilson's neck injury.

    Wilson played the following week after he injured his neck against division rival San Diego. Asked if he came back too soon from the injury, he paused as his eyes stared at his folded hands.

    "Maybe I should've sat out a week or two," Wilson said. "The competitive nature in me, I wanted to compete."

    Wilson had a good parting conversation with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Thursday.

    "I wish him nothing but the best," Wilson said.


    SOURCE
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Broncos release Wilson

    I love that guy. One of my favorite players ever.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  3. #3
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Broncos release Wilson

    Whoever gets Al will have a solid MLB. One of the best leaders I have seen in college football and very fun to watch. Come on down to Oakland that way you can lay one on the Broncos this upcoming season.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Indian09's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2005
    Posts
    1,111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Broncos release Wilson

    Hes my favorite player to come out of UT.
    Reeking of awesomeness!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Xknight52's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Broncos release Wilson

    The Tennessee Titans are taking a strong look at him but I doubt he'll end up in the 2 tone blue. We just signed a NO NAME LB for like 11 million....But ya never know????
    [IMG]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1842/rustysig.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member rebelron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Broncos release Wilson

    Al Wilson was the greatest leader ever for the UT Football team.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/rebelron/varsity08-600x312.jpg[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •